Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lilibet Gets Lily-fied

June 5, 2010 - Photo Credit: Getty

Here's the Queen, out for a day at the races at the Epsom Derby in Surrey, England. This is quite the themed outfit - lilies on the coat, hat, brooch, and even the dress underneath:

June 5, 2010 - Photo Credit: Getty
Normally, I'd call this out for being way too matchy-matchy, but I'm loving it. It's light and bright and thoroughly Spring, and I have to give Her Majesty (well, HM's dresser, at least) props for including the design on the coat - something tells me her usual, practical self would have gone with a plain old yellow coat for greater opportunities to re-wear. And anything that brings out one of my favorite brooches has got to be a win:
This is the Rhodesian Flame Lily Brooch, which the Queen received as a gift for her 21st birthday from the children of Rhodesia. Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother also received brooches nearly identical, both of which I believe are now in the Queen's possession, so it's hard to tell if this is the exact one the Queen received or if it is one she's inherited. Three nearly identical brooches - can you imagine?

No comments:

Post a Comment